Every ratepayers’ or residents’ branch from each village will hand over a report of the problems in that specific village.
“The Democratic Alliance is in full support of the FEKRRA action because Kouga Municipality is collapsing due to the lack of proper administration and a complete financial implosion”, said Elza Van Ligen, Member of Parliament for Kouga..
“The reasons why we support the march are as follows:”
1. The mayoral committee claims delegated powers which it does not have, for instance unlawfully appointing the Section 56 and 57 managers (municipal manager and directors) without following due process;
2. The unrealistic and inflated budget claiming to collect 96% of own income when the recovery rate is 70-75%;
3. The poor financial state of Kouga Municipality owing in excess of R85,806 million:
· R19, 446 million to Nelson Mandela Bay Metro for water.
· R6, 058 million owed to SARS for PAYE where these amounts are deducted on a monthly basis from salaries.
· R10, 723 million owed to the four pension schemes the municipality subscribes to, when the monthly subscriptions are also deducted on a monthly basis. Non-payment of these leave the employees and workers without disability and funeral benefits.
· R15, 949 million owed to Eskom for electricity.
· R1, 38 million owed in interest on loans that was due by 30 June 2012.
· R16, 648 million owed to the provincial department for the vehicle licences issued
· R20 million owed in loans to the Infrastructure Finance Corporation Limited (INKA) and Development Bank of South Africa (DBSA) that was due by 30 June 2012
· Creditors increased from 30 June 2011 of R65 million to R85, 806, 682 million on 30 June 2012.
· Debtors increased from R89, 643, 078 million on 30 June 2011 to R105, 469, 684 million at 30 June 2012.
This week the Portfolio Committees of the Provincial Legislature will be visiting Kouga and various projects in the municipality to be able to debate the state of Kouga during the annual “Taking Legislature to the People”, from 8-12 October in Humansdorp.
“The DA will make every effort to expose the critical position of Kouga, which is clearly ignored by the ANC in the municipality and the province” added Van Lingen.