New video footage indicates that striking miners opened fire first on the South African Police, and thereafter the Police retaliated with a volley of gunfire.
It seems that the miners advanced on three fronts and actually came within meters of the Police line before the men in blue opened fire.
The following video video contains graphics that could disturb sensitive viewers.
Minister of Police Nathi Mthethwa told Parliament on Tuesday that police had done all its power to avert any bloodshed at the Lonmin Marikana Mine in the North West last week.
However, said the Minister, it would be up to the judicial Commission of Inquiry established by President Jacob Zuma to get to the bottom of who was responsible for the tragedy.
Minister Mthethwa was speaking in a special sitting of the National Assembly which debated the tragedy of Thursday, 16 August 2012 in which 34 striking miners were killed in clashes with police. Days earlier, 10 people, including two police officers, died in another incident at the mine.