Jesse Kriel will retain the 13 jersey for the Boks World Cup opening clash against Japan on Saturday. He will partner Springbok captain Jean De Villiers in the midfield of the most experienced Springbok team ever selected.
Zane Kirchner will start at fullback in the Springboks’ World Cup opener this Saturday, while Duane Vermeulen and Eben Etzebeth will not be risked against Japan.
Willie le Roux has not named in the match-day 23, having missed the match in Buenos Aires with an ankle injury.
With Etzebeth recovering from a calf strain and Vermeulen having only just overcome a serious neck injury, the Springbok management has decided to give them another week to continue with their rehabilitation.
Lood de Jager will start in place of Etzebeth in the second row, while Schalk Burger will continue at No 8 in the absence of Vermeulen, with Francois Louw returning from injury to start at openside flank.
The “Bone Collector” Willem Alberts is on the flank for the Boks and will provide go forward ball against the Japanese.
In the backline, Jean de Villiers will captain the team from inside centre after recovering from a fractured jaw, with Damian de Allende missing out on selection, while Ruan Pienaar and Pat Lambie will continue as the halfback pairing. Fourie du Preez and Handré Pollard will play off the bench.
Lwazi Mvovo also retains his place on the right wing after impressing against Argentina in Buenos Aires.
E Street Cafe will be screening the all the World Cup games live up at the Mall
There will be plenty of prizes to be won as well as guess the score competitions.
Fountains Mall offers plenty of parking and E Street even has a children menu on offer.
The Springbok team to face Japan in Brighton is as follows:
15. Zane Kirchner (Leinster) – 30 caps
14. Bryan Habana (Toulon) – 110
13. Jesse Kriel (Vodacom Bulls) – 4
12. Jean de Villiers (DHL Stormers – captain) – 107
11. Lwazi Mvovo (Cell C Sharks) – 13
10. Pat Lambie (Cell C Sharks) – 44
9. Ruan Pienaar (Ulster) – 84
8. Schalk Burger (DHL Stormers) – 79
7. Willem Alberts (Cell C Sharks) – 33
6. Francois Louw (Bath) – 36
5. Victor Matfield (Vodacom Bulls) – 123
4. Lood de Jager (Toyota Cheetahs) – 12
3. Jannie du Plessis (Cell C Sharks) – 64
2. Bismarck du Plessis (Cell C Sharks) – 73
1. Tendai Mtawarira (Cell C Sharks) – 68
16. Adriaan Strauss (Vodacom Bulls) – 48
17. Trevor Nyakane (Vodacom Bulls) – 16
18. Coenie Oosthuizen (Toyota Cheetahs) – 21
19. Pieter-Steph du Toit (Cell C Sharks) – 4
20. Siya Kolisi (DHL Stormers) – 11
21. Fourie du Preez (Suntory) – 70
22. Handré Pollard (Vodacom Bulls) – 13
23. JP Pietersen (Cell C Sharks) – 60