As the heavy rainfall seen over the last few weeks subsides, rescue and assessment teams are now expected to evaluate the damage caused by the inclement weather.
Head of the National Disaster Management Centre, Ken Terry, said on Monday said the department could not yet predict the costs of the flood damage prior to the assessment being conducted.
“The preliminary investigation will [indicate that]. After that, when the formal investigation and assessment (teams) go with the professional engineers, we will get a more realistic assessment on what the total cost of the damage is,” Terry said at a media briefing, adding that the information would be available within the next few days.
Large parts of the country have in the past two weeks been subjected to heavy rainfall, particularly in the North West, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal provinces.
The current disaster events have resulted in 32 fatalities.
Six fatalities were also caused by lightning and one person died due to a collapsed wall in KwaZulu-Natal. A number of people have been rescued from the roofs of their vehicles and several trapped in their homes.
The budget for provincial and municipal disaster grants was R540 million for the current financial year. So far, half of the amount has been spent on declared disasters, and about R200 million is left.