The Cape Town Surfriders team won the team event at the South African Surfing Championships in misty Long Beach conditions today and in doing so maintained their proud 100% record of wins in home waters.
Team coach, Chris Bond, congratulated his side on a “solid team performance” with Ethan Fletcher’s gold medal in the U20 Boys division, silvers from Tarryn Chudleigh in the Women’s and Brandon Benjamin in the Men’s and Jordy Maree’s fourth place in the U20 Boys Final certainly sealing the deal for the locals.
Buffalo City Surfriders came second but will celebrate the fact that Greg Emslie and Nikita Robb won the Men’s and Women’s titles respectively and Danica Stockigt took fourth in the U20 Girls final.
His victory sees Emslie take his place in history as the only surfer to secure five Open Men’s SA titles, one more than the legendary Chris Knutsen.
Robb not only won her fifth Women’s crown but was also named the Surfer of the Contest. She was the only surfer to score a perfect 10 point ride over the three days of competition.
Third place went the way of 2014 champions Nelson Mandela Bay Surfriders who’s best results came from second placed U20 Girl Britney Linder and Faye Zoetmulder, who came fourth in the Women’s final.
1. Cape Town
2. Buffalo City
3. Nelson Mandela Bay
4. Cape Winelands
8. Invitation Team
1. Greg Emslie (Buffalo City)
2. Brandon Benjamin (Cape Town)
3. Llewellyn Whittaker (Eden)
4. Chris Frolich (eThekweni)
1. Nikita Robb (Buffalo City)
2. Tarryn Chudleigh (Cape Town)
3. Heather Clark (Ugu)
4. Faye Zoetmulder (Nelson Mandela Bay)
1. Ethan Fletcher (Cape Town)
2. Adin Masencamp (Cape Winelands)
3. Ntando Msibi (eThekweni)
4. Jordy Maree (Cape Town)
1. Natasha Van Greunen (Cape Winelands)
2. Britney Linder (Nelson Mandela Bay)
3. Teal Hogg (eThekweni)
4. Danica Stockigt (Buffalo City)
Surfer of the Contest
Nikita Robb (Buffalo City)