JBay local Dylan Lightfoot was the star performer at the Billabong Junior in Durban on the weekend, winning every heat he contested and comfortably taking both the Under 20 and U18 boys’ titles.
Competing in rippable one metre waves at New Pier, the 18 year who grew up surfing Jeffreys Bay, earned a wildcard into the U20 specialty event by winning the U18 final.
He went on to dominate his older competitors to pocket a total of R15 000 in prize-money and take the early lead in both the Billabong Junior Series and SSA Pro Surf Tour U18 rankings.
Tim Baard, also from JBay came second in the U16 division which was won by Jordan Maree (Kalk Bay).
The most impressive performance came from diminutive Kai Woolf (Jeffreys Bay).who posted a perfect 10 point ride and followed that with a 9.40 for a heat total of 19.40 in the U14 girls’ final.
That not only clinched the title for Woolf but also earned her a custom engraved Nixon watch for the highest heat total of the entire event, which she accepted with an impressive speech that belied her tender years.
The next stop on the Billabong Junior Series will be held at Nahoon Beach in East London on 6 & 7 April before moving to Kommetjie in Cape Town in August and culminating at Seal Point in the Eastern Cape in September where the series champions in all divisions will be crowned.
Billabong Junior Series (Event #1 of 4)
New Pier, Durban
1. Dylan Lightfoot (Jeffreys Bay) R10 000
2. Michael February (Kommetjie)
3. Mickey Venter (Durban)
4. Dane Staples (St Francis Bay)
1. Heidi Palmboom (Bluff) R10 000
2. Emma Smith (Jeffreys Bay)
3. Nicole Pallet (Durban)
4. Chanelle Botha (Warner Beach)
1. Dylan Lightfoot (Jeffreys Bay) R5 000
2. Max Armstrong (Scarborough) R900
3. Ethan Pentz (Kalk Bay) R600
4. Justin Sykes (Salt Rock) R500
1. Chanelle Botha (Warner Beach) R5 000
2. Nicole Pallet (Durban) R900
3. Tahra Uren (Jeffreys Bay) R600
4. Caryn McNicol (Scottburgh) R500
1. Jordan Maree (Kalk Bay) R5 000
2. Tim Baard (Jeffreys Bay) R900
3. Jerry van Wyk (Jeffreys Bay) R600
4. Donovan Wichmann (Marina da Gama) R500
1. Koby Oberholzer (Durban) R2 500
2. Adin Masencamp (Strand) R450
3. Ethan Fletcher (Kommetjie) R300
4. Rewaldo Abersalie (Jeffreys Bay) R250
1. Kai Woolf (Jeffreys Bay) R2 500
2. Olivia Izzard (Durban) R450
3. Sophie Bell (Durban) R300
4. Kirsty McGillivray (Jeffreys Bay) R250
1. Max Elkington (Hout Bay) R2 500
2. Saxton Randall (Durban) R450
3. Tide Lee Ireland (Durban) R300
4. Angelo Faulkner (Jeffreys Bay) R250
VonZipper Flair Up Award – Best Aerial manoeuvre
Diran Zakarian (Melkbosstrand) R10 000
DaKine Youthful Movement Award – Most progressive surfing
Shane Sykes (Salt Rock) R10 000
Nixon Winner Takes All (WTA) – Highest heat total
Kai Woolf (Jeffreys Bay) – 19.40 (10.0 + 9.40) out of 20 – Custom engraved Nixon Watch