The following provincial roads are closed:
1) Humansdorp to Hankey. Weston bridge still flooded and the water flow seems to be increasing at this stage, not decreasing.
2) Loerie Road: Between the Gamtoos Ferry hotel en Loerieheuwel. Also watch out for rocks on the road at the hotel, as well as on the R102 as you approach the old one-lane bridge across the Gamtoos.
3) Humansdorp to Oyster Bay closed.
4) Humansdorp to St Francis closed.
5) Sand River bridge at St Francis collapsed at about 2:30am this morning. The provincial Department of Public Works and the contractor who built the bridge were on site this morning.
They reported that the repair of the bridge could only commence once the water has subsided. In the meantime pedestrians have been crossing the river some way further up river among the dunes.
“We would advise against this, if possible, as we cannot guarantee people’s safety and they cross at own risk.
The NSRI has also been helping to get people across and can be contacted on 082 990 5969 for further information”, said Laura-Leigh Randall from Kouga Muncipality.
* All the causeways in the Hankey and Patensie area are overflowing, in particular, the Milton and Andrieskraal bridges.
The Paradise Beach causeway in JBay is also overflowing but is still open and being monitored.
Residential roads that have had to be closed, include Johan Muller Boulevard in Paradise Beach and Shearwater Drive in Cape St Francis.