Water restrictions will be implemented at Hankey, Patensie and surrounds from this weekend.
Kouga Municipal Manager Sidney Fadi said that the Gamtoos Irrigation Board would be closing off its irrigation canals for its annual maintenance programme from 6 June 2015 to 21 June 2015.
Hankey, Patensie and the surrounds obtain water for domestic use from the irrigation scheme and the closure will affect the availability of water during this period.
Water restrictions will, therefore, be implemented from 00:00 on Friday, 5 June 2015, until 00:00 on Monday, 22 June 2015.
Residents are urged to use water sparingly during this time.
The following activities are prohibited for the duration of the restrictions:
1. Watering of gardens, lawns, grassed areas.
2. Washing of paved areas, walls, roofs, buildings, and similar structures, vehicles or other equipment.
3. Filling of swimming, paddling pools, fountains and ponds.
4. The use of hosepipes, sprinklers and drip systems.
5. The connection of a hosepipe or any form or irrigation system to a tap supplying water from the Munical water supply system, except for fire fighting purposes.
The Municipal Manager said that although every effort would be made to have water available for domestic consumption at all times, there might at times be no water. Consumers are, therefore, advised to make provision for emergencies.