Sunday will see the biggest surfski race in the history of St Francis Bay when the the Oyster Bay Surfski Challenge, sponsored by Dirk Ellis Motors takes place.
The details of the race are:
- Start: 11am, Cape St Francis Beach
- Distances: Short Course 10km, Long Course 15km
- Routes: Short – Shark Pt and back
- Long – Shark Pt, then around the lighthouse, and back
- Safety: there will be safety boats, but life jackets and leashes are compulsory
- Entry Fee: R100
- Prizes: Cash – R7000. Lucky Draws – Carbonology Surfski, Wimpy and Engen vouchers, Country Feeling clothing
There will be a number of big names in South African paddling taking part. Dawid Mocke, Tom Schilperoort, Richard von Wildemann, Matt Boumann and Luke Nisbet are all amongst the top paddlers in the world today. If you aren’t paddling, come along and watch. This is a rare opportunity to see these guys in action.
There will also be a paddle today at 4pm from the canal harbour, followed by a complimentary cold beer.
Richard Arderne from the St Francis Paddling Club can be contacted on 083 284 0168 for more information.