The South African Police have launched a manhunt for suspects pictured on the front page of the Sunday Times, who stabbed to death a foreign national on Saturday.
Street vendor, Emmanuel Sithole, a Mozambican national, was stabbed in Alexandra, north of Johannesburg, as the township emerged from a night of violent xenophobic attacks.
Sithole was the seventh person known to have died in the attacks countrywide.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Lungelo Dlamini says police are continuing with investigations.
“Police are continuing with investigations relating to the murder of a foreign national.
What we have gathered so far is that the victim was a street vendor and he had an argument which resulted in the stabbing, but police are following several leads to track down the suspect.”
Mmusi Maimane, the DA Parliamentary leader said the following about the xenophobia sweeping South Africa:
“Our humanity is slipping away from us, and we cannot allow that. We cannot stand by as fellow human beings are tortured and murdered.
I understand the frustration being felt by South Africans, especially unemployed youth, who struggle to access opportunities to improve their lives.
Jobs are scarce. Our economy continues to exclude millions of South Africans.
But to focus this anger and frustration on a small group of foreign nationals who have become unfairly vilified and victimised does not address the cause of that frustration.”