News
Photo of the day – Meiringspoort river

river CW

Until the first road was built through Meiringspoort, the Swartberg Mountain Range was almost insurmountable.

The 16 km road was completed in less than a year and opened to the public in 1858. The Poort was named after Petrus Meiring, a farmer from the de Rust area.

Clive Wright captured this image in Meiringspoort during a recent visit.

View News By Category
News Archive