It is only a few days to the start of the pilot phase to allow fishing in 4 controlled zones in the Tsitsikamma Marine Protected (MPA).
The pilot which begins on the 15th December 2015 is a result of a signed agreement between SANParks and representatives of the Tsitsikamma community (Tsitsikamma Angling Forum and Koukamma Municipality) to allow fishing along 20% of the MPA coastline.
About 80% of the MPA coastline and 100% of the offshore environment will still be a no-take zone.
Monitoring and compliance measures for the pilot phase include the hiring of new staff (72) to oversee the pilot project phase starting on the 15th December 2015 until 31st March 2016.
Plans to monitor catch include forms to complete for submission by the fishermen.
Do’s & Don’ts for anglers
• No fishing will be allowed outside the demarcated areas and or without a valid permit
• No fishing to be allowed outside the agreed times
• You are not allowed to catch or collect more species as per the agreed quota
• Dedicated access routes and pathways to be used at all times
• No minors younger than 12 years to be allowed
• All minors (12-16) years wishing to fish should to be in possession of a valid fishing permit and should be accompanied by an adult at all times
• The adult who accompanies the minor should accept full responsibility of such minor
• Accompanying persons do not need a permit if they are not going to fish
• No dumping of refuse to be allowed and have to be removed by anglers
• Only those residing between Covie and the Bloukrans river, and those residing in the Koukamma Municipal area and in possession of a valid identity document and proof of residency in these aforementioned areas to be considered for fishing permits
• Registration will take place on the 11,12 and 13 December 2015 at the following places which have been clustered as such;
Communities Venue Time
• Covie & Coldstream, Coldstream 17h00 – 20h00
• Boskor Stormsriver, Stormsriver 17h00 – 20h00
• Thorham, Sanddrif, Blkkiesdorp, Mandela Park Mandela Park 17h00 – 20h00
• Kwaaibrand, Koomansbos, Hermanuskraal Kwaaibrand 17h00 – 20h00
• Woodlands, Witelsbos, Robbehoek Woodlands 17h00 – 20h00
• Eersterivier Clarkson and Kareedouw. Eersteriver 17h00 – 20h00