News
Kruger back to normal after floods

Tourist facilities in the Kruger National Park are back to normal following floods which caused havoc in the park for the first two weeks of March.

Sunrise in Kruger National Park

Sunrise in Kruger National Park

South African National Parks (SANParks) spokesman Reynold Thakhuli on Tuesday said that all facilities which had been closed, excluding the S64 road in the north and the Wolhuter and Boesman Trails camp in the south, were now operational.

“All the bush camps, walking trails, picnic spots and gravel roads are deemed safe enough to be used by our clients. We are happy to be able to welcome them back,” said Thakhuli.

The reopened bush camps are Talamati, Biyamiti, Sirheni, Shimuwini, Balule and Bateleur, while the trails camps are Olifants and Nyalalaland.

true hotspot

Areas in the south of the Kruger received as much as 300mm of rain during the first 10 days of March, resulting in overflowing rivers which forced the closure of bridges, camps and roads.

“All clients who had cancellations need to get in contact with the SANParks reservations department on reservations@sanparks.org or 012 428 9111,” said Thakuli.

Flooding in Mpumalanga, Limpopo, Gauteng, North West and KwaZulu-Natal caused the deaths of 32 people, and displaced around 3 000 more. – SAnews.gov.za

View News By Category
News Archive