JBay local Kirsty McGillivray has made her town proud by winning the Billabong SA Junior Surf Champs in her age group on Sunday.
Kirsty, who earned one of the two perfect 10 point rides earlier in the event, carried that form into the U15 girls’ final where she racked up a heat tally of 12.84.
Defending division champion Sophie Bell took second place ahead of eThekweni teammates Olivia Izzard and Christy Gilmore.
Cape Town Surfriders district clinched the coveted Freedom Cup for the team accumulating the highest points at the 2015 Billabong SA Junior Champs which was completed in good one metre waves at the Lower Point in Jeffreys Bay today (Sunday).
The Cape Town team also clinched two of the six individual titles at stake and provided eight of the 24 finalists, earning 32 576 points to finish well ahead of hosts Nelson Mandela Bay (27 956) and third placed defending cup-holders eThekweni (25 170).
Cape Winelands repeated their fourth place in the team standings of last year, followed by Buffalo City, Eden, Ugu, the SA Development Academy and uThungulu.
2015 Billabong SA Junior Champs Results
Freedom Cup (Provincial team points)
1. Cape Town – 32 576 points
2. Nelson Mandela Bay – 27 956 pts
3. eThekweni – 25 170 pts
4. Cape Winelands – 21 526 pts
5. Buffalo City – 18 735 pts
6. Eden – 17 620 pts
7. Ugu – 16 314 pts
8. SA Development Academy – 12 955 pts
9. uThungulu – 6 920 pts
1. Jordy Maree (Cape Town)
2. Ford van Jaarsveld (Cape Winelands)
3. Jake Elkington (Cape Town)
4. Ethan Fletcher (Cape Town)
1. Chrystal Hulett (Nelson Mandela Bay)
2. Pippa Jones (Cape Town)
3. Taghiti Gericke (Eden)
4. Kia Fenton (Nelson Mandela Bay)
1. Max Elkington (Cape Town)
2. Sebastian Williams (Nelson Mandela Bay)
3. Luke Slijpen (Cape Town)
4. Angelo Faulkner (Nelson Mandela Bay)
1. Kirsty McGillivray (Nelson Mandela Bay)
2. Sophie Bell (eThekweni)
3. Olivia Izzard (eThekweni)
4. Christy Gilmore (eThekweni)
1. Brayden Bergset (eThekweni)
2. York van Jaarsveldt (Cape Town)
3. Manoa Robb (Cape Town)
4. Dillon Hendriks (Nelson Mandela Bay)
1. Gabi Lailvaux (eThekweni)
2. Summer Sutton (Cape Town)
3. Kayla Nogueira (eThekweni)
4. Lisa van Heerden (Cape Winelands)