The Jeffreys Bay community is shocked at the brazen attempt to wheel a child away from her parent in a shopping cart on Wednesday at a local Mall.
“I had just turned my head to say something to the staff member assisting me when my 6 year old daughter who was in the shopping trolley next to me shouted “hey” and when I looked around a man was wheeling her away from me heading towards the door.
I grabbed the trolley and the man let go and quickly left the shop,” said the relieved mother after the incident.
Here are some tips to keep your child safe when shopping:
• If it is at all possible, leave small children at home with a trusted babysitter.
• Teach your child to go to a shop clerk and ask for help in case your child is separated from you.
• Teach children to stay close to you at all times while you are shopping.
• Never allow children to make unaccompanied trips to the restroom.
• Children should never be allowed to go to the car alone and they should never be left alone in the car.
• Teach children their full name, address and telephone number to give to police officers or mall security. Teach children to immediately inform you if a stranger is bothering them.