Less than 8 % of house robbers get convicted of their crimes in South Africa, while 80 % of robberies occur with the help of inside information.
This is according to statistical research done by Dr Zinn from UNISA regarding house robberies in South Africa.
1. Eight out of 10 residential robberies are committed with the help of information from maids, gardeners and former employees.
2. Robbers will monitor your home for as long as 2 weeks.
3. Most attacks occur between 7pm and midnight as people are relaxed, cooking or watching TV, and the security systems and beams are not active. But robberies continue until 04H00 in the morning.
4. 97% of robbers are armed.
5. On average an armed robbery gang has 4 members.
6. It is a complete myth that only White people are victims of robberies – anyone displaying any form of wealth (double storey homes, expensive jewellery and fancy cars) is a target.
7. The average age of a house robber is between 19 and 26 years.
8. An average of 30% of all house robbers have either committed murder, or won’t hesitate to commit murder.
9. Only 17% of house robbers are foreigners.
10. Of all the arrested robbers, 90% had no matric or we unemployed. The 10% who had been employed, gave up their jobs when confirming how much they could “earn” from a robbery.
11. Most victims or targets are affluent persons who openly display their wealth e.g. expensive cars, jewellery and up market homes.
12. The average robber commits 103 robberies over 7 years before being caught.
13. Most attacker’s homes or bases are a 10 to 30 minute drive from the target address.
14. The conviction rate for house robberies in South Africa is only 7.67%. In the USA it is 53%.