Light rain, thick mist, a forced move from Long Beach to the Muizenberg Pavilion on Day one and some great surf and surfing on the final day of the first of three Rip Curl Gromsearch events were just some of the highlights of the first of three events in the rebirth of this popular series for surfers 16 and under.
In the end Josh Smit of Durban took the premier Under 16 Boys title when he beat a star-studded group of national junior team members in 3 to 4 foot surf at Long Beach.
Smit looked in control throughout the premier final as he relegated ISA World Junior Championship silver medalist Dylan Lightfoot (Jeffreys Bay) into second place.
Current SA U/15 Champion Gina Smith of Jeffreys Bay took honours in the Under 16 Girls Division when she beat up and coming Kenilworth surfer Nina Woermann into second spot. Nicole Pallet (Bergvliet) was third and 13 year old Ruth Armstrong (Scarborough) took fourth place.
Smith won R1200, 1000 PST points, a Rip Curl watch and leads the series with two more events to go.
The Under 12 division title went to Masencamp, who was singled out by the sponsors as the stand out surfer in the event. Jose Faulkner (Pellsrus, Jeffrey’s Bay), a winner at the recent Grommet Games in Port Elizabeth, came second to Masencamp with Ethan Fletcher (Kommetjie) third and Tristan Lev (Tableview) taking fourth slot.
1. Josh Smit (Durban) R2 000
2. Dylan Lightfoot (Jeffrey’s Bay) R1 000
3. Slade Prestwich (Scottburgh) R 500
4. Diran Zakarian (Melkbosstrand) R 400
1. Gina Smith (Jeffreys Bay) R1 200
2. Nina Woermann (Kenilworth) R900
3. Nicole Pallet (Bergvliet) R500
4. Ruth Armstrong (Scarborough) R300
1. Jordy Maree (Silvertree) R1 000
2. Adin Masencamp (Strand) R800
3. Steffen Burrows (Stellenbosch) R400
4. Dillon Fernandez (Muizenberg) R200
1. Adin Masencamp (Strand) R800
2. Jose Faulkner (Jeffreys Bay) R400
3. Ethan Fletcher (Kommetjie) R200
4. Tristan Lev (Tableview) R100